If so, then it is no surprise that you don’t practice enough. If you hate doing something, you are going to do as little of it as possible. You can only force yourself to do things you hate for so long. This site is about becoming a better musician and enjoying the process. It’s not just for pianists.
- AI-Generated Piano Blog Post“The only way to do great work is to love what you do.” – Steve Jobs Learning to play the piano as an adult can be an exciting and rewarding journey. Whether you’ve always wanted to tickle the … Read more
- One Hundred TimesSome common advice for pianists is that you should never practice a difficult passage by simply repeating things over and over again because it’s mechanical. While I agree that you shouldn’t practice mechanically, not all repetition is bad, … Read more
- Everything is an Experiment (Even the Performance)How should I practice? What piece should I learn next? How do I prepare for a recital? How do I help my student who is having trouble with X, Y, and Z? Questions often come up about how … Read more
- Rules for Piano Teachers, Part ISome of these rules might surprise you, maybe. I’m not really sure. But they come out from my 30 years of experience teaching people how to play piano. The first rule should probably be “don’t listen to someone … Read more
- Four Reasons You Don’t Practice (and what to do about it)You get bored. If practicing is boring for you, you may need to find a different way to practice. If you find yourself watching the clock, you’re probably wasting your time. The best way to combat this is … Read more